Whether you are playing with your partner, friends, colleagues, friends or children, play is essential for adults as well as for kids because it can be a source of relaxation and also motivation.
Play can fuel our imagination, creativity, problem-solving abilities and overall improve our mental health as well as improving your mood and wellbeing.
Our lives have become very hectic over the years and we focus all our time on work and family commitments forgetting to make time to have fun! When we do have spare time, we usually end up zoning out in front of the TV or spending hours on social media when we should be engaging in fun play like we did when we were kids.
Playing games, as an adult is a time where we can forget about work and commitments and be social with others in an unstructured, creative way. We should be focusing on the actual experience and not the goal and by doing that we will reap from the health benefits of play.
The benefits of play
Play is beneficial for people of all ages and can add joy to life, relieve stress, supercharge learning and connect you with others.
- Relieve stress. Play can trigger the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals and will give you an overall sense of wellbeing.
- Improve brain function. Playing chess, completing puzzles, finding a way out of a maze or other fun activities that challenge the brain can help prevent memory problems and improve brain function.
- Stimulate the mind and boost creativity. You will always learn a new task better when it’s fun and you’re relaxed and in a playful mood. Play can also stimulate your imagination.
- Improve relationships and your connection to others. Sharing laughter and fun can foster empathy, compassion, trust and intimacy with others, which can loosen up stressful situations, break the ice with strangers and help you make new friends.
- Keep you feeling young and energetic. We will grow old if we stop playing! It boosts your energy and vitality and helps you feel your best.